What is the Pillar® Procedure?
Why is the Pillar® Procedure performed?
Pillar® Procedure is used by ear, nose and throat experts with New York ENT to treat:
- Mild to moderate sleep apnea
- Loudness and intensity of snoring, occurring from soft palate vibrations
What does the Pillar® Procedure involve?
The Pillar® Procedure for sleep apnea or snoring is done in-office, and generally takes under an hour to complete. Patients are given local anesthesia and are comfortable during the procedure.
During the procedure, your New York ENT doctor will place small implants into your soft palate using a special tool. After a period of time, the implants will cause the soft palate to stiffen and provide more structure for the tissue. In turn, the tissue is unable to vibrate as intensely and decreases snoring. The structural support also makes the palate less likely to collapse and cause airway blockages associated with sleep apnea. Most patients will begin to see results of the procedure within a few weeks.
What are the advantages of undergoing the Pillar® Procedure?
Some of the many benefits of undergoing the Pillar® Procedure for snoring or sleep apnea with the trusted ENT doctors with New York ENT include:
- Little or no downtime
- No removal or damage of tissue
- Minimal or no discomfort during the procedure
- Can be done in a single office visit
- Patients can resume diet and activity the same day
- Decreased snoring and sleep apnea symptoms