Hearing Loss Treatments in New York City
How is hearing loss treated?
When a patient is diagnosed with conductive hearing loss or sensorineural hearing loss, the next step is to discuss treatment options. Depending on the individual and the type of hearing loss experienced, treatment options will vary. Some treatment options to discuss with your doctor may include:
- Ear wax removal
- Ear infection treatment
- Hearing aid
- Surgical repair of the eardrum
- Cochlear implantation
When is treatment for hearing impairment needed?
While hearing loss may affect social interaction and other aspects of daily life, people are often unaware that they have a loss of hearing until others point it out to them. Signs and symptoms that warrant a visit to an ear, nose and throat specialist, such as New York ENT include:
- Muffled or unusually loud speech
- Inability to understand or decipher conversation
- Sensation that one or both ears are plugged
- Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears
People suffering from hearing loss may also constantly have a need for increased volume on radio or television.
What does hearing loss treatment involve?
Treatment of hearing loss depends in the cause of the problem.
- Ear wax buildup can cause temporary hearing loss, and is treated by New York ENT doctors using ear wax removal or other conservative treatments.
- Ear Infection may cause hearing loss when severe. In these cases, ear, nose and throat specialists can provide antibiotics, decongestants, or other ear infection treatment options to rid mucus from the ear.
- Torn or perforated ear drums can cause hearing loss, and requires a surgical procedure known as tympanoplasty to repair the tear.
- Congenital defect, injury or disease can also be a cause of more profound hearing loss, which sometimes can be treated with surgical insertion of a cochlear implant, which is a small device that helps a patient to hear sounds.
For more permanent types of hearing loss resulting from aging, or damage to the inner ear, use of a hearing aid may be helpful, although adjusting to them may take a few weeks. Individuals coping with severe hearing loss may also learn to pay careful attention to gestures and facial expressions, to read lips, or to use sign language in order to improve their communication skills.
If you are suffering from hearing loss, the first step towards feeling better is to schedule an evaluation with an experienced ear, nose and throat doctor. Board certified physicians with New York ENT have extensive experience with hearing loss treatment. Fill out the form on this page or call our office at (212) 873-6168 to schedule an appointment today.